Benefits and Applications of Multiwall Polycarbonate in Construction
If you’re planning a construction project, multiwall polycarbonate may be just the material you’re looking for to add interest to your design. There are many benefits from using this material in your construction project. Distinct from other construction materials, multiwall polycarbonate can be used to create an impressive aesthetic complemented by efficient natural light. It comes in a variety of colors and structures, and it’s easy to cut, shape, and install. Multiwall polycarbonate is also affordably priced and offers a variety of benefits, including:
- Light transmission. Polycarbonate material is known for its high light transmission (up to 85%) and evenly diffuses sunlight to create desirable natural lighting conditions.
- Heat retention. The internal structure of a multiwall polycarbonate panel provides excellent heat retention. A typical U-value for clear 8mm twin-wall polycarbonate, for example, is about .58, and you can control the U-value with the internal structure and thickness you select.
- Lightweight. Multiwall polycarbonate material is lightweight, which makes the panels easy to stack, store, handle, and place. The lighter weight also makes it possible for walls, windows, roofs, or other design features to be constructed across wider spans while maintaining a rigid structure.
- Durability. At 250 times the strength of glass, multiwall polycarbonate is durable enough to stand up to construction activities. When properly cut and drilled, the material doesn’t break or crack, which allows installation at a faster pace and with fewer necessary precautions compared to glass. Multiwall polycarbonate will also endure year after year of rain, wind, snow, and hail without chipping or cracking.
- Easy to mount. Multiwall panels are ideal for gable- and arch-style designs, and they are also easily adapted for custom construction projects. Panels can attach directly to a metal or wood frame using common construction tools, and the ease of mounting saves construction time and gets your project up fast.
- Structure adds style. Multiwall polycarbonate is available in a variety of structures, colors, and thicknesses that can give you complete freedom to control both the function and aesthetic of your design. The internal structure of a multiwall panel not only determines its insulating properties but also provides a visual point of interest and lighting effect that is cost-effective to create. Internal structure options include 2-wall, 3-wall, X structure, honeycomb, and 4-wall construction.
Because of the incredible amount of design flexibility inherent in using multiwall polycarbonate, this material has become increasingly popular for a wide variety of applications. These applications include:
Because they are lightweight and offer excellent light transmission, multiwall sheets are ideal for roofing. They provide insulating properties as well as durability for high impact or heavy snow. They are also easily installed using simple hardware designed to readily fit the size of the panel.
Light transmission makes multiwall polycarbonate perfect for skylights. Sheets are weatherproof and can be sealed to prevent moisture from entering around the perimeter.
The internal structure of each panel provides excellent heat retention and light diffusion for growing plants indoors. Panels can also be erected quickly to get a greenhouse up and growing fast.
The material is easily shaped to create distinctive enclosures for swimming pools or other unique spaces that feel like outdoor settings but offer the protection and climate control of an indoor space.
- Curtain Walls
Multiwall panels can can be used to create non-structural exterior walls that allow light from outside while still protecting people and objects from the elements.
Aesthetically pleasing yet durable exterior finishes can be created from the wide variety of available colors and structures.
- Interior Design
Use the color and structure of polycarbonate sheets to accent special areas and create distinctive spaces using light and pattern.
Polycarbonate sheets are available in a variety of structures, colors, and thicknesses to give you complete freedom to control both the function and aesthetic of your design. For advice on which type of multiwall polycarbonate is best for your construction project, contact Ug Plast at 717-356-2448 or email@example.com to get connected to a distributor near you.